Saturday, February 20, 2016

Black Hood and the real Philadelphia

I read Black Hood #5 this week (and bought issues 6 thorough 9), written by Philadelphia's own Duane Swierczynski and set in his home city, where I also live. I am happy to report that none of the first five issues mentions gentrification, home prices, real estate development, gastro-pubs, East Passyunk, craft beers, charter schools, Stephen Starr, the renaissance of Fishtown, boutique distilleries, entrepreneurship, restaurants with cute one-word names, start-ups, the University of Pennsylvania,  or Comcast.

It's a relief to escape from the ludicrous fantasy of civic greatness that constitutes public discussion in this city and find reality in a comic book.

© Peter Rozovsky 2016

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great, great comic book.

February 20, 2016  
Blogger seana graham said...

Got to get to this series.

February 20, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Erik: and no problem with superfluous editorial padding, either. The supplementary material included with each volume of The Black Hood is always interesting, going a fair way toward giving Philadelphia the sort of reputation among crime readers that Chicago, New York, L,A,, and San Francisco already have.

February 21, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana: I've bought the individual issues, but there were were plans to publish the first five issues in a trade paperback edition. I would suspect that volume might already have appeared.

February 21, 2016  
Blogger seana graham said...

Yeah, that's what I was hoping. I'll ask at my friendly neighborhood comic store when I'm downtown next.

February 21, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm only a casual visitor to comics shops, which is fine, because I find it difficult to read a single issue that will take ten minutes, then have to wait a month.

February 22, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, that Erik Arneson who commented above, by the way, has written some of the supplementary material that I mentioned.

February 22, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home