Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Münster's Case, my review

My review of Münster's Case, sixth of Håkan Nesser's Van Veeteren novels to be published in English, appears in Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer.
"Håkan Nesser has long disproved the stereotype that Scandinavian crime writers aren't funny," the review begins. "His humor is observational and quiet, however, rather than slapstick or outrageous.

"In Münster's Case, Nesser carries the quiet amusement further than ever before, at least in his novels available in English, making of it a major plot point that I won't give away here. But you'll get it as soon as you come to it."
(Read all my blog posts about Håkan Nesser, including an interview with him from 2008.)

© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

I really want to read Nesser, but I haven't gotten to him yet. Damn Irish crime writers.

November 06, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Nesser's writing is generally free of the things the Scandinavian crime writers get accused of all the time. There's no hyper-violence, nor is the dreariness of existence drien home with a sledge hammer.

November 06, 2012  
Blogger seana graham said...

I actually like most of the Scandinavian crime novels I've read. Time is the factor. But yes, I think Nessen's humor would appeal to me.

November 06, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yes, you still might find his novels congenial. The mood is decidedly deadpan.

November 06, 2012  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

Great article. Do you write for the Inquirer often?

November 26, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. I have a piece in Sunday’s Inquirer, though not about crime fiction.

November 26, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home