Monday, September 10, 2012

Bouchercon, Cleveland, and what I'll do there

The Bouchercon 2012 schedule is up for public viewing. I’ll moderate a panel called “Murder Is Everywhere” Saturday, Oct. 6, with panelists Timothy Hallinan, Yrsa Sigurðardóttir, Cara Black, Jeffrey Siger, and Stanley Trollip. Trollip is one half of the team that writes as Michael Stanley, and the panel takes its title from the name of a blog to which all five authors contribute.

I know all five and have panelized with three of them at previous Bouchercons, included twice before with Yrsa. I interviewed Tim Hallinan in 2008 here at Detectives Beyond Borders, and I’ve met and chatted with Jeffrey Siger through the others.

In this case, familiarity will lead not to contempt but to good questions, as I’ll want to avoid queries that I (and others) have asked the authors before. Such challenges are among the joys of moderating a panel. The first time I had the job, at Bouchercon 2009 in Indianapolis, for example, my panel included two translators from other languages into English, one who translated from English into French, and an author. The search for common elements among these three categories of panelists led to questions I’d likely not have come up with had I had to quiz them separately, in groups consisting solely of their exact peers.

I’ve already come up with a couple of good questions, but you won’t read about them here, because then the authors might read them. I always feel that a bit of mystery is best at a crime-fiction convention.

I’m also developing an itinerary of things to do in Cleveland, with the help a colleague who comes from there. The Cleveland Museum of Art tops the list, and Bouchercon’s opening ceremony happens at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Other recommendations include kielbasa, kraut, pierogies, the West Side Market, East Sixth and Prospect Avenue, the Flats, and jazz clubs on West Sixth Street. Unfortunately I’ll have left town by the time the Harvey Pekar statue is dedicated, but such a statue leaves me with warm feelings about Cleveland.
 ==================
"Murder is Everywhere" happens Saturday, Oct. 6, 10:15-11:05 a.m. View the Bouchercon Web site for more information.

© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

I'd rather walk around Harvey Pekar's neighborhood than go to the rock and roll hall of fame.

September 11, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I won't have that quandary because a convention event happens at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so I can look around while I'm there.

My Cleveland colleague did say he'd give me a list of places where Harvey used to eat.

September 11, 2012  
Anonymous Mark Pryor said...

Careful, now, you'll have me actually excited to see the city of Cleveland, I didn't think that was possible (be clear: I'm excited about B'Con itself).
My question: will there be snow?

September 11, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

If Cleveland was good enough for Harvey Pekar, it's good enough for me.

As for snow, I've ranked my four Bouchercons by weather. Baltimore in 2008 was far and away the best, followed by St. Louis last year. Indianapolis in 2009 was cold and wintry, but that may have been normal, so I don't know if it ranks below the weird mix of microclimates that gave us brilliant sun, cold wind and rain in San Francisco in 2010.

September 11, 2012  
Blogger Leighton Gage said...

I'm very sad, Peter, to miss being there with my blogmates, but I'm gonna do the Flemish Book Fair this year in Antwerp - and two international trips within a month just aren't on.
I don't know what Icelandic specialties Yrsa is planning for the gang this year, but after the fermented shark at Crimefest and the sheep's head in St. Louis, I'm sure you're in for a treat.

September 12, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

One never knows what strange animal parts or searing liquids Yrsa will turn up with. She was emptyhanded in Bristol, but she promises to bring something this time..

September 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home