Saturday, August 30, 2008

A little bit of The Big O

Declan Burke has been waxing even more enthusiastic than usual these days, and why not? His second novel, The Big O, called a "tour de fun" by Detectives Beyond Borders and a lot of additional nice things by a lot of additional reviewers, has its U.S. release from Harcourt Sept. 22.

I singled out the novel for its opening, and now you can read the first three chapters on the book's Amazon page. I recommend that you do so. Then I recommend that you read the rest of the chapters as well, and if you suspect that that's a suggestion you seek out the whole book, you're right.

I wrote last year that "the deliciously complicated plotting, the wry dialogue and the sympathy Burke engenders for his cast of characters made this one of the most fun and purely pleasurable reads I've had in a while." I've had no reason to repent that opinion. The Big O is still one of the two or three funniest crime novels I've ever read.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:


Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Dana King said...

I just had the distinct pleasure of reviewing THE BIG O for New Mystery Reader, and concur with everything Peter just said. The review will be posted around the middle of next week, along with an interview with Declan Burke,

August 30, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

The book is lots of fun, isn't it? I'll look forward to reading your review, and I hope you'll come back here with a reminder when it's posted.

Until then, here's my review. Glenn Harper had some interesting comments on the novel in an article for the Mystery Readers Journal issue on Irish mysteries

August 30, 2008  
Blogger petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Hi Peter, Hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend. Wanted to let you know that the runaway winners for Z is for Zorro? were Antonio Banderas, Catherine-Zeta
Jones, and John Goodman. I'll have to think of a good one for Errol Flynn, and hope you enjoy,
"Eve's Got Mail." Thanks for voting, Peter!

August 30, 2008  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter,

He's a funny guy is Mr. B.

Et bon voyage. My sister's pub is the Joymount Arms in Carrick, if you're around that way.

A...

August 30, 2008  
Blogger Declan Burke said...

Much obliged for the big-ups, folks ... Some days you're just gobsmacked by the goodwill out there ... Cheers, Dec

September 01, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yep, a pretty good holiday do far, PM, and I was pretty sure who the winners would be on this one. I don't remember: Was Salma Hayek on the list?

September 01, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian, I passed briefly through Carrickfergus today but without enough time to stop for a point. I plan to return there to do so in the next few days. It looks like your home toen is in a boom phase again, quite the idealic seaside bedroom town.

September 01, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Couldn't have happened to a nicer young dad, Declan. And did you know Internet cafes in Belfast shut at 10?

September 01, 2008  
Blogger Dana King said...

Peter, per your request, my review of The Big O has been posted on the New Mystery Reader home page, along with an interview with Declan Burke.

http://www.newmysteryreader.com

September 05, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. I'll take a look either when I've returned from this evening's festivities, or else tomorrow.

September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home