Sunday, August 17, 2008

A fourth volume in Carlo Lucarelli's De Luca trilogy

A recent comment on this blog brings the welcome news that Carlo Lucarelli is at work on a fourth novel about Commissario De Luca. The news comes from an interview with Lucarelli in the the Italian online magazine Milanonera ("Il primo Web press in noir"), which is worth a look even if you don't read Italian.

Lucarelli does not say when the book will appear, nor does he give a title. The first three De Luca novels, Carte Blanche, The Damned Season and Via delle Oche, appeared in 1990, 1991 and 1996. English translations from Europa Editions appeared in 2006, 2007 and this year.

The books evoke with great economy and tension the grimness and paranoia of late- and post-Fascist Italy. They work as lively history lessons and superb thriller and crime stories. (Read my review of Via delle Oche here.)

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:


Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks for the good news Peter but at my age I do hope there won't be a 12 -16 year delay in translating the books into English.

August 17, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I wondered if Lucarelli's return to De Luca indicates a renewed interest on the part of the public and if this, in turn, might mean a much shorter delay before English translation. I hope it does.

August 17, 2008  
Blogger Sucharita Sarkar said...

Thanks for the info. It's always interesting to hear of developments in historical crime fiction and Post-Fascist Italy would make a nice parallel to the Brit Golden Age, my area of interest.

BTW, thanks a ton for the poemsoncrime report. I became inspired enough to send an entry, though I've really no clue (as they say in detective-speak) as to the poetic merit of my submission.

August 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the first three novels have been translated in successive years,I'd be reasonably optimistic about the new one.
The return to De Luca has probably more to do with renewed inspiration;Lucarelli has always said that in order to write a new De Luca novel he needed to envision the right story around him.

Marco

August 17, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Sucharita, have you read Lucarelli's De Luca novels? It had not occurred to me that they are set in the period of Golden Age crime stories, to which they stand in the starkest contrast I can think of -- and an interesting contrast thereby. I recomment the books highly.

And I'm pleased that you submitted a poem. Poetry, especially in a narrative form, is bound to encourage concision, which means a nice narrative punch. Good luck with your submission.

August 17, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Marco, I'm glad he found the inspiration for a new story. The translations have appeared not just in three successive years, but the three most recent years. That's why I think your optimism is reasonable.

August 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And today there's a very interesting interview to Massimo Carlotto about his own very interesting historical noir,Cristiani di Allah.
Here's a bit more (in English) over the novel.

August 20, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. MilanoNera appears to be doing some interesting things. I shall print out a copy of the Carlotto interview and try laboriously to make my way through it.

August 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home