Friday, March 07, 2008

Australian Crime Fiction Snapshot, Part IV

There may be fewer crime-fiction authors than kangaroos in Australia, but it's close. The latest batch of interviewees in the Australian Crime Fiction Snapshot includes a grand old man of Australian crime fiction, Peter Corris, plus Alison Goodman, Wendy James, Daniel Hatadi, Chris Womersley, Hazel Edwards, Brian Kavanagh, Sophie Masson, Liz Filleul, Alex Palmer, Lindy Cameron, Susan Parisi and Shane Maloney, who just might be Australia's funniest human.
I especially like Parisi's explanation for why she turned to writing thrillers and Maloney's suggestion for how better to promote Australian authors: "Perhaps Peter Temple could strangle Dan Brown with a typewriter ribbon at the top of the Eiffel Tower."

I've read some of these writers and heard of others. Some are new to me, but that's an advantage of this format. You might not read a longer article about an author you don't know, but these short interviews are perfect introductions.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter - I'm really pleased you've enjoyed this series - I'm going to leave the list of snapshots on my site for a while now as it's an astounding list.

I've personally really enjoyed having the opportunity to pick out a few new / unheard of authors as I think it's really important that we continue to nurture new voices.

All of the interviews have been fascinating and ultimately, we've got to thank the authors - each of whom has obviously put a lot of themselves into their answers.

March 07, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

How did you find some of the lesser known or newer authors? And yes, all the authors have my thanks, too.

I've enjoyed everything about the series, including the clip of didgeridoo music I attached to one of my posts. That clip led me to other, similar clips, and the upshot is that I have been practicing proper lip technique, as advised in one of the instructional videos that I found.

March 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a lovely didge (that my husband mostly plays), although the German Shepherds sit in front of you and howl like banshees when you're playing it. There are critics everywhere you go these days.

Finding the authors was actually not too hard - publicists were extremely helpful, we have a lot of contacts from chats over the years, and a lot have their own websites now. Plus a lot of the authors helped us track down other authors.

March 08, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I imagine I would not be the first visitor to Australia who would want to bring a didgeridoo back with me. Some of the ones I saw on Web sites were painted beautifully, and the prices seemed reasonable. The instruments would probably be a hassle to fit into a luggage compartment, though, especially now that airlines are trying to make packing as uncomfortable as the trip itself. And I'm not sure I'd trust my local post office with a miniature harmonica, much less a didgeridoo.

All the authors who answered the question about how better to promote Australian crime fiction did their part by taking part in the Snapshot, I'd say.

March 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home