Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Conventions of crime

I’m starting the New Year much as I finished the old one: reading a kids’ book. Once again, it’s Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl, this time the fifth book in the series, Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony.

This past summer, I wrote about Colfer’s entertaining spoof of hard-boiled detectives in Half Moon Investigations. In The Lost Colony, Colfer goes beyond spoof to explore and expand upon another crime-fiction convention, which might make this book especially enjoyable for experienced readers of the genre. Once again, Colfer proves not just that he can tell an entertaining story, but that he thinks seriously about crime fiction.

(I won’t say which convention Colfer explores because doing so would arguably constitute a plot spoiler, even though the exploration happens early in the book.)

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Linkmeister said...

I frequent a blog full of sci-fi writers, so when I read the post title I immediately thought of organized meetings.

More fool me.

January 02, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I figured the title might be eye-catching that way, since the calendar abounds with crime-fiction conventions as well. I hope I create no ill will. I would not want to be undone by my own cleverness.

January 02, 2008  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

No, I'm just amused at my own prejudgments.

January 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home