Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harrogate Festival reports

Euro Crime and It's a Crime! (or a mystery...) post copiously about the recent Harrogate Crime Writing Festival in England, including a link to a BBC broadcast about the event that should be available for a few more days.

Readers of Detectives Beyond Borders might especially like It's a Crime!'s report on a panel about Crime in the City. There, David Hewson, author of the Nic Costa novels, set in Rome, reveals that, during a gray childhood in Bridlington (Yorkshire, I presume!), "I didn't see the colour yellow until seven years old," that he loved the Mediterranean, and that he considers himself better at writing about what he doesn't know than what he does.

Hewson, Paul Johnston, Michelle Spring and panel chair Paul Blezard engage in a deep and wide-ranging discussion of what authors think about when they create settings. I recommend it highly.

© Peter Rozovsky 2007

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget Graham Hurley and his "Pompy"! (Portsmouth)

Back soon, when I can!

July 26, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Oops! My apologies to you and to Graham Hurley, about whom more at http://www.grahamhurley.co.uk/. And my compliments and thanks again for that report. It may channel my reading in some new directions.

July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - Bridlington, Yorkshire. For pity's sake don't tell me there's another????

July 27, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Ha! You begin to give me a vivid sense of what Bridlington must be like. No, I merely specified Yorkshire as a hedge against my own sketchy knowledge of English geography. For all I knew, there could be Bridlingtons lurking everywhere.

July 27, 2007  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Doing research in Rome or Portsmouth,Venice or Bridlington, the choice is just so difficult.

July 27, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You mean you don't think young writers dream of fleeing Rome or Venice to do research in Portsmouth or Bridlington?

July 27, 2007  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

We met a Russian in Helsinki who announced when he knew we were from England, that he had been to our "beautiful English city of Portsmouth"!

July 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all in the eyes of the beholder...

July 28, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

What ought this ignorant North American to know about Portsmouth, other than than that there are probably lots of fish there, which is a good thing?

July 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth
If the naval history grabs you, I can direct you further. We have a family friend who is a retired academic whose focus is naval history...

July 28, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I slapped myself on the side of the side of the head as soon as I read your post. Portsmouth ... navy ... of course!

July 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home