Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Words, words, (dirty) words

I am fortunate; my edition of Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games lacks the glossary that American editions of the novel are said to include. That means I have the delicious pleasure of trying to figure out the meanings of its rich vocabulary of slang and swear words from context or by resemblance to words in other languages. You'll find discussions of two of those words here and here.

I'm swearing off the unusual volume of critical discussion generated by Sacred Games, a volume that perhaps reflects the novel's 900-page bulk or the size of Chandra's advance. Before I do, though, Jerome Weeks of book/daddy, in a comment here, cites a reviewer's comment that Sacred Games is limited by "genre thinking."

My vow of critical abstinence will prevent me from reading the review until I've finished the novel. For now, though, I will say that in the person of Police Inspector Sartaj Singh, Chandra seems to be creating a richer than usual version of that genre figure, the tired, divorced, middle-aged investigator.

© Peter Rozovsky 2007

Technorati tags:


Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Following our conversation, juste have a look : http://www.casterman.com/burma/index.htm

January 11, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. I know the Casterman Web site. I have always enjoyed the beautiful illustrations for the books. Perhaps I will make a separate post about Casterman.

January 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home